Of course I named the show after the great album by the Smittens and I pay homage to the band by using a clip of their song 11:11 for my theme. I hope the band doesn't mind, but when I have talked to various members of the band after shows they seem like nice people whom I think would be good with it.

I also use this name for my DJ night happening occasionally at the Jane Bond in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.

Note that the links to shows older than 6 months might not be working, if you really want those shows please send me an email and I can get them to you. (Note that prior to 2018 I called my podcast FireballXL5, so don't be confused if you look at an old setlist)

Special thanks to Jeff Woods for finding my a place to host my mp3s!


August 3, 2007

Theme: Hillside Review
On Air: Frank

This was the first show since the Hillside Festival so I played a couple of the bands that made an impression on me during the festival. My biggest surprise was a band that was probably the youngest band to play the festival as they were the winner of the Guelph high school band contest. They are called "Dance Hall Free For All" (just say that out loud a couple of times, it makes you feel good) and have a great funky sound that really impressed me. Other highlights of the festival were Mother Mother, Immaculate Machine, Two Hours Traffic, and in their first North American show Los Campensions. I won't go into detail as you can read my full review here: http://www.stillepost.ca/boards/index.php?topic=86678.0 (near the bottom of the page as Steve Zodiac of course).

The rest of the show was a mix between a slow set, a funky set, and a set of a few leftovers from the last couple of shows. The funky set started with a song going out to Mary who likes the Red Hot Chili Peppers cover the Sly and the Family Stone song "If You Want Me To Stay". If you remember I saw Sly in concert during my recent trip to Italy and he was actually on stage during this song.

I ended with The Zombies "Time of the Season" because The Immaculate Machines covered it as their last song when I went to see them at the Jane Bond the week before the show. Then I was watching a documentary on the 60s a few days later and sure enough I heard the songs once again.

TALK-Theme
Saturday Looks Good To Me - The Girl's Distracted
Lucky Soul - Get Outta Town!
The Envelopes - It's The Law
The Electric Pop Group - Don't Bring Me Out
All Girl Summer Fun Band - Dreamy You
TALK (Hillside Review)
Dance Hall Free For All - Tomorrow In Thailand (C)
Mother Mother - Dirty Town (C)
Immaculate Machine - Nothing Ever Happens (C)
Two Hours Traffic - Jezebel (C)
Los Campensinos - It Started With A Mix
TALK (slow set)
Keren Ann - In Your Back
Griffin and the True Believers - The Cat (C)
Paul MacLeod - Tomorrow (C)
The Bird And The Bee - Because
TALK (funky set)
Sly And The Family Stone - If You Want Me To Stay **For Mary
John Legend - Slowdance
Clarence Carter - Too Weak To Fight
Otis Redding - Mr. Pittiful
Broadcast - Before We Begin
TALK
Ghost House - Mail Lady (C)
Hallelujah The Hills - Wave Backwards To Massachusetts
The Planet Smashers - Raise Your Glass (C)
Sea Wolf - You're A Wolf
The Geraldine Fibbers - California Tuffy
TALK
They Might Be Giants - Bee And The Bird Of The Moth
California Snow Story - Out Of Time
The Sweet Homewreckers - Nineties On Your Side (C)
Boy Omega - By Midnight We'll Give It A Go
Liechtenstein - Stalking Skills
TALK
Zombies - Time Of The Season

(C) Denotes Canadian Content

No comments:

Post a Comment