Of course I named the show after the great album by the Smittens and I pay homage to the band by using a clip of their song 11:11 for my theme. I hope the band doesn't mind, but when I have talked to various members of the band after shows they seem like nice people whom I think would be good with it.

I also use this name for my DJ night happening occasionally at the Jane Bond in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.

Note that the links to shows older than 6 months might not be working, if you really want those shows please send me an email and I can get them to you. (Note that prior to 2018 I called my podcast FireballXL5, so don't be confused if you look at an old setlist)

Special thanks to Jeff Woods for finding my a place to host my mp3s!


October 26, 2007

Theme: Party rock to Twee
On Air: Frank

Once again I had to make a comparison between Jens Lekman and Jonathan Richman (and I know I promised that this would be the last time during the show but I might have to do it just one more time). In both of these songs they narrate a little story about their past that goes along with the song, they even have some of the same articulation. In the case of Lekman, this version of the song is 7 minutes long from the digital-only EP that was released before the album and it gives a lot more background on the story than the 4 minute version that is on the CD.

Not much else to say about the rest of the show: a set about upcoming shows, a party rock set, and a few random sets of great songs. A few notes about a few of the songs are shown below.


TALK-Theme
The Brunettes - Baby
Strawberry Whiplash - Falling Through
Heavenly - Three Star Component
The San Marinos - Guess How Much I Love You
TALK (Upcoming show set)
Bella - None Will Ever Know (C)
Knock, Knock Ginger - Syllables (C)
Square Root of Margaret - Time Bomb (C)
The Pipettes - Dance & Boogie **See Note 1
TALK (very Twee)
Jens Lekman - Postcard For Nina
Jonathan Richman - Monologue About Bermuda
Oh! Sweet Music - Four Long Years
Tullycraft - The Punks Are Writing Love Songs
TALK (party rock)
Shout Out Out Out Out - Chicken Soup For The F*** You (C) **See Note 2
The Russian Futurists - These Seven Notes (C)
Bocce - Again Again Again Again (C)
The Go! Team - Doing It Right
TALK
Tokyo Police Squad - Box (C)
The Sequins - Lost Art Of Friendship
Chuck Prophet - Doubter Out Of Jesus
Simply Saucer - Bullet Proof Nothing (C)
Small Sins - On The Line (C)
TALK
Juni Jarvi - Asleep

Note 1: I don't like that the Pipettes put a couple of extra songs on the US release of album after I bought the import version last year.

Note 2: Saw them at the Starlight the night before the show, crazy crowd, great show.

(C) Denotes Canadian Content

No comments:

Post a Comment