Of course I named the show after the great album by the Smittens and I pay homage to the band by using a clip of their song 11:11 for my theme. I hope the band doesn't mind, but when I have talked to various members of the band after shows they seem like nice people whom I think would be good with it.

I also use this name for my DJ night happening occasionally at the Jane Bond in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.

Note that the links to shows older than 6 months might not be working, if you really want those shows please send me an email and I can get them to you. (Note that prior to 2018 I called my podcast FireballXL5, so don't be confused if you look at an old setlist)

Special thanks to Jeff Woods for finding my a place to host my mp3s!


April 9, 2010

I started the show with a song from the most recent release of the Waterloo band Bocce, their sound has really matured since their last release and I encourage everyone to go to their website (listed below), download their album, and if you like it support the boys with a donation.

This past week I was looking at clearing some space from a computer and found a directory where I once downloaded the entire content of the famous C86 cassette compilation from the New Music Express (NME). It came out in 1986 and featured some of the best indie-pop bands of the time. I sprinkled the show with songs from the compilation and I was amazed at how well the songs stand the test time after almost 25 years. You can find out more about C86 here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C86_%28music%29 .

Websites I mentioned during the show:

Information about the compilation If You Like Everything There's Nothing Left To Love:
http://www.skatterbrain.org/2009/01/if-you-like-everything-theres-nothing.html

Video from The School:
http://theschoolband.blogspot.com/2010/03/is-he-really-coming-home.html

Website to download the Lykke Li song:
http://lykkeli.com


First song of the show (best song I heard since the last show):
Bocce - Highlighter (Reverse Video) (Download the entire album here: http://kwbocceclub.com/disambiguation.php )


You can download the latest show directly here:
http://71.18.55.208/2010-04-09_final.mp3


For information on how to sign up for the podcast or join the Facebook group, see the bottom of this message.


Fireball XL5 Setlist - April 9, 2010
TALK
Bocce - Highlighter (Reverse Video) (C)
Scarboro Aquarium Club - Black Swan Days (C)
Bear Hands - What A Drag
Class Actress - Let Me Take You Out
Hot Chip - I Feel Better
TALK
The Mary Onettes - Puzzles
The Up Set - Couldn't Lose Our Youth
The Bodines - Therese (C86)
The Autumn Leaves - Summer Sunshine Girl
Flin Flon - Ukrania
TALK
Shout Out Louds - Walls
Mighty Mighty - Law (C86)
The School - Is He Really Coming Home?
The Sugarplums - A Pop Wedding In The Winter Weather
Faunts - It Hurts Me All The Time
TALK
Ossian Ekenger - Ivan, There's Trouble
Tiny Microphone - You Disappear
The Pastels - Breaking Lines (C86)
The Depreciation Guild - Dream About Me
Lyyke Li - Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?
TALK
The 6ths - San Diego Zoo **for Derek


(C) - Canadian Content
(C86) - From the NME-C86 Cassette


If you want to taken off this mailing list please e-mail me.

Fireball XL5 Podcast Homepage: www.fireballxl5.ca

Podcast link: 71.18.55.208/fireballxl5.rss

Facebook group page: www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2437232020

No comments:

Post a Comment