Of course I named the show after the great album by the Smittens and I pay homage to the band by using a clip of their song 11:11 for my theme. I hope the band doesn't mind, but when I have talked to various members of the band after shows they seem like nice people whom I think would be good with it.

I also use this name for my DJ night happening occasionally at the Jane Bond in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.

Note that the links to shows older than 6 months might not be working, if you really want those shows please send me an email and I can get them to you. (Note that prior to 2018 I called my podcast FireballXL5, so don't be confused if you look at an old setlist)

Special thanks to Jeff Woods for finding my a place to host my mp3s!


September 29, 2006

Theme: Side Projects
On Air: Frank

The side projects theme really got people thinking so I got lots of suggestions for bands to play. A great suggestion was made by Chris F. who remembered that I had told him about seeing NoMeansNo before the show and came up with the Hanson Brothers a side project of NoMeansNo. Also topical as hockey season started the week after the show.

Deep Space Wayne suggested that I could have just done the whole show based on Broken Social Scene which is pretty much a band that is a side project of people from other bands.


I made an impulse buy the night before the show and picked up the acclaimed and influential album "Colossal Youth" by the Young Marble Giants. I first heard of Stuart Moxham of the band because of his involvement with the Stephin Merrit project The 6ths as well I have heard lots of people praise him so I decided to go for it. So far I'm really liking it. I also played songs from few other CDs I picked up right before the show.


TALK - Theme

Peter Bjorn and John featuring Victoria Bergsman - Young Folks Cats On Fire - Higher Ground
^^ Jim Noir - Key of C
Dyrdin - Popp & Co
** Young Marble Giants - Salad Days
TALK
## The Stars - Reunion (C)
++ Amy Milan - He Brings Out The Whiskey In Me (C)
++ ** Memphis - Incredibly Drunk on Whiskey (C)
Violet Lyal - To You Leaving (C)
TALK
## NoMeansNo - I Need You (C) **Suggested by Chris F.
++ The Hanson Brothers - 100 + 10% (C)
## New York Dolls - Personality Crisis **Suggested by Karen M.
++ Buster Poindexter - All Night Party
TALK
## Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Chicken Dog **Suggested by Chris D.
++ 20 Miles - Mend Your Heart
Ladyhawk - The Dugout (C) **Suggested by Rick W.
^^ Sound Team - Your Eyes Are Liars

Yo La Tengo - Watch Out For Me Ronnie
TALK
## Metric - Combat Baby (C) **Sort of suggested by Chris D.
++ Emily Haines - The Lottery (C)
Those Transatlantics - The Other Cheek
Great Aunt Ida - We Say No (C)
^^ The Icicles - Snowman
TALK
## New Order - Regret
++ Electronic - Late At Night
** Junior Boys - In The Morning (C)
TALK
Jonathan Richman - Since She Started To Ride **See Note 1
Harvee - No One Here **See Note 2


## Original band
++ Side Project

** Bought the day before the show at Soundscapes
^^ Doesn't mean anything but I just really wanted to make the setlist really, really, confusing

Note 1: Dedicated to Mike and Jackie, I decided to play the song because of a conversation I had with them and Jackie talking about spending a lot time at the barn looking after horses

Note 2: Bonus song because the person on after me was a few minutes late.

(C) Denotes Canadian Content

No comments:

Post a Comment