Of course I named the show after the great album by the Smittens and I pay homage to the band by using a clip of their song 11:11 for my theme. I hope the band doesn't mind, but when I have talked to various members of the band after shows they seem like nice people whom I think would be good with it.

I also use this name for my DJ night happening occasionally at the Jane Bond in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.

Note that the links to shows older than 6 months might not be working, if you really want those shows please send me an email and I can get them to you. (Note that prior to 2018 I called my podcast FireballXL5, so don't be confused if you look at an old setlist)

Special thanks to Jeff Woods for finding my a place to host my mp3s!


February 16, 2007

Theme: Labrador Records spotlight
On Air: Frank

I started the show with one of the few vinyl albums I have acquired in the last few years. I got it at a showing of the Canadian movie Monkey Warfare ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0832906/ ) at the Princess Cinema, the director, Reginald Harkema, was at the showing and answered questions after the movie. A few of the questions were about the music in the movie and in particular how much is costs to use a song in a movie (answer: about $500 to the person who performed the song and another $500 for the rights owner of the song). He also mentioned that the bands agreed to have the songs part of a limited edition 1000 vinyl pressing and that he had some copies of it with him. So after the questions were over I was second in line to get a copy. The first two songs were from the soundtrack along with some bonus dialogue from the movie.

Most of show ended up being a spotlight on the Labrador Records label ( http://www.labrador.se/ ). This idea came to me after using a quote from the band Suburban Kids With Biblical Names for my UW weather Station contest ( http://weather.uwaterloo.ca/contest2007/contest2007_entry.htm ). So I thought that I should play at least that song, but when I was looking at the band's record label and saw the rest of the great bands they have put out I started downloading all the songs I could from the record label's website. The label also has just came out with their 100th release, and to celebrate they have released a four CD set featuring a song from each one of their releases, it has the very humble title of "The Complete History of Popular Music".

I ended the show with two songs (a rarity as I usually end with a single song) featuring a couple of people that I saw a few days after the show playing at the Jane Bond. Bob Wiseman did a multimedia show playing various videos from his laptop, playing along with some while others were just funny videos, while Geoff Berner was his usual comical self.

TALK - Theme

The Fugs - Kill For Peace
Wierd War - Girls Like That
The Gruesomes - Wat Dat? (C)
The Gruesomes - Three Men One Coffin (C)
Books On Books - One Page At A Time (C)
TALK
Saturday Looks Good To Me - Since You Stole Me Heart
Of Montreal - Cato As A Pun
The Fiery Furnaces - Single Girl
Spirathon - Cherry Girl (C)
Elvis - I Need Your Love Tonight
TALK (Labrador records set 1)
Suburban Kids With Biblical Names - Funeral Face
S'Ambassadeur - New Moon
Lasse Lindh - The Stuff
Pelle Carlberg - Riverbank
Starlet - When The Sun Falls On My Feet
TALK (Labrador records set 2)
Henry Morgan Solokarriar - One Day, Any Day
Laurel Music - No One Want's Forever
Corduroy UTD - Daddy's Boy
South Ambulance - Hanging In A tie
Leslies - Collins
TALK
Knock, Knock, Ginger - The Makeout Song (C)
The Poison Dart - Occupations (C)
Friday Morning's Regret - Poor Caroline (C)
The Postage Stamps - Turning Off (C)
Lindy - Beautifully Done (C)
The Fembots - Countdown Our Days (C)
The Bicycles - Australia (C)
TALK
Geoff Berner - Would It Kill You (C)
Bob Wiseman - You Don't Love Me (C)



(C) Denotes Canadian Content

No comments:

Post a Comment