Of course I named the show after the great album by the Smittens and I pay homage to the band by using a clip of their song 11:11 for my theme. I hope the band doesn't mind, but when I have talked to various members of the band after shows they seem like nice people whom I think would be good with it.

I also use this name for my DJ night happening occasionally at the Jane Bond in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.

Note that the links to shows older than 6 months might not be working, if you really want those shows please send me an email and I can get them to you. (Note that prior to 2018 I called my podcast FireballXL5, so don't be confused if you look at an old setlist)

Special thanks to Jeff Woods for finding my a place to host my mp3s!


March 2, 2007

Theme: Hard to listen to songs
On Air: Frank

I started out in a funky groove beginning with the top song by Ruth Brown. The set also included a song from the Light in the Attic release "From Jamaica to Toronto", it is a compilation that was released last year featuring acts that came from the West Indies and settled in Toronto. The morning of the show I saw a performance by some of the acts from the CD on Breakfast Television publicising a show that they were doing that night in Toronto, I couldn't make it but that would have been cool to see. Another Light in the Attic release I'm looking forward to is their collection of music from Bollywood movies of the 60s and 70s.

I ended up playing more songs that I had planned in the "hard to listen to" set, see if you are able get through the 7 song endurance test. After that set the rest of show was pretty laid back, I promise more happy, poppy stuff for the next show.

I know it is buried near the end, but the song by Keren Ann "Lay Your Head Down" is a really great song that has really grown on me since the show. It was fighting for the top song spot but didn't quite make it, however do yourself a favour and make sure you give it a listen.

TALK - Theme

Ruth Brown - 5,10,15 Hours
B'Ham Rhythmn Section - I've Been Lonely For So Long
Howard Tate - She's a Burglar
Wayne McGhie and the Sounds of Joy - Fire (She Need Water) (C)
Professor Longhair - Go To The Mardi Gras
TALK
Bellevue - KC Thugs (C)
The Gruesomes - You Were Not Using Your Head (C)
The Fussy Part - Dog Food Thumb
Jim Ried - I'm Stranded
The Organ - Memorize The City (C)
TALK (The hard to listen to set)
Karen Dalton - Something On Your Mind
The Sixth with Odetta - Waltzing Me All The Way Home
Geoff Berner - Can't Stay Dry (C)
Daniel Johnston - Mind Contorted
Calvin Johnson - When You Are Mine
Tom Waits - Filipino Box Spring Hog
The Comedian Harmonists - Wenn ich vergnugt bin, muss ich singen **Suggested by Derek
TALK
Ron Sexsmith with Bob Wiseman - Trains (C)
Steven McKay - The Other Bums (C)
Friday Morning's Regret - When Lost at Sea (C)
Jeremy Fisher - American Girls (C)
Sondre Lerche and the Faces Down - Say It All
TALK
Dean and Britta - Teen Angel
Airport Girl - Show Me The Way
Keren Ann - Lay Your Head Down **Almost the top song of the week
Holden - Ce Que Je Suis
Ukjent - My New Hang Up
The Pipettes - A Winter's Sky **See Note 1
TALK
Jarvis Cocker - Don't Let Him Waste Your Time

(C) Denotes Canadian Content

Note 1: I saw the Pipettes at their first ever North American show at the Rivoli in Toronto on March 9. They were totally awesome, they only allowed 100 people into the venue because of a violation the night before. So although the show was "sold-out" the venue was only about half full. See another review with pictures here. You can also see many different videos from the show on youtube.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment